International Journal of Modern Computation, Information and Communication Technology
July-August 2021, Vol. 4, Issue 7-8, p. 29-33.
Power quality improvement in solar energy conversion system
M. Miruna, A. Nandhini, A. Sownthariya*, B. Subhashree, K. Yadhari
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Knowledge Institute of Technology, Salem, Tamilnadu, India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
This research work presents a generalized control algorithm for power quality (PQ) amelioration of the grid in presence of nonlinear load. The proposed method alleviates the voltage imbalance, a power electronic interface is suggested between the source and the load whose function is to provide output voltage regulation and also improve power quality. Maximum power point tracking (MPPT) technique is employed to identify the peak power point and extract peak power from the PV by utilizing a boost convertor. As the inverter in the solar power photovoltaic (PV) feed into the terminal, the output voltage from the inverter needs to be controlled to meet in the AC circuits. The photovoltaic system using proposed control technique is validated under voltage sag-swell, distorted and load removal conditions and the results are displayed. The main aim of the project is to reduce the losses during transaction between the systems and obtain high efficiency.
Keywords: Maximum power point tracking; Power quality; Sag swell; Boost converter; Efficiency.
- Blaabjerg JF, Teodorescu R, Liserre M, Timbus AV. Overview of control and grid synchronization for distributed power generation systems. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2006;53:1398-409.
- Carrasco JM, Franquelo LG, Bialasiewicz JT, Galvan E, PortilloGuisado RC, Prats MAM, Leon JI, Moreno-Alfonso N. Power-electronic systems for the grid integration of renewable energy sources: A survey. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2006;53:1002-16.
- Abu-Rub H, Holtz J, Rodriguez J, Baoming G. Medium- voltage multilevel Converters-State of the art, challenges, and requirements in industrial applications. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2010;57:2581-96.
- Ahmadi D, Zou K, Li C, Huang Y, Wang J. A universal, selective harmonic elimination method for high-power inverters. IEEE Trans Power Electron. 2011;26:2743-52.
- Kanieski J, Cardoso R, Pinheiro H. Kalman filter based control system for power quality conditioning devices. IEEE Trans Ind Electron. 2013;60:5214-27.
- Zobaa AF, Abdel Aleem SHE. A New Approach for Harmonic Distortion Minimization in Power Systems Supplying Nonlinear Loads. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics 2014;10:1401-12. doi: 10.1109/TII.2014.2307196.
- Biricik S, Redif S, Zerdem C, Khadem SK, Basu M. Real-time control of shunt active power filter under distorted grid voltage and unbalanced load condition using self-tuning filter. IET Power Electronics 2014;7:1895-905.
- Dash R, Swain SC. Effective power quality improvement using dynamic activate compensation system with renewable grid inter-faced sources. Ain Shams Eng J. 2018;9:2897-905.
- Taleb M, Mansour N, Zehar. An improved grid tied photovoltaic system based on current conditioning. Eng Sci Technol Int J. 2018;21:1113-9.
- Hossain E, Tur MR, Padmanaban S, Ay S, Khan I. Analysis and mitigation of power quality issues in distributed generation systems using custom power devices. IEEE Access 2018;6:16816-33.
- Babu PN, Peesapati RB, Panda G. A Pre-filtering based Current Control Strategy in Grid-tied Photovoltaic Systems with Active Power Filter for Harmonic Mitigation. TENCON 2019 - 2019 IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON), Kochi, India, 2019. pp. 1003-1008. doi:10.1109/TENCON.2019.8929638.
- Babu PN, Peesapati RB, Panda G. An Adaptive Current Control Technique in Grid-tied PV System with Active Power Filter for Power Quality Improvement. TENCON 2019 - 2019 IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON), Kochi, India, 2019. pp. 187-191. doi:10.1109/TENCON.2019.8929487.
- A. Stonier, S. Murugesan, R. Samikannu, S. K. Venkatachary, S. Senthil Kumar and P. Arumugam, "Power Quality Improvement in Solar Fed Cascaded Multilevel Inverter With Output Voltage Regulation Techniques. IEEE Access 2020;8:178360-71. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3027784.
- Sabry A, Mohammed ZM, Nordin FH, Nik Ali NH, Al-Ogaili AS. Single-phase grid-tied transformerless inverter of zero leakage current for PV system. IEEE Access 2020;8:4361-71.