International Journal of Modern Computation, Information and Communication Technology
May-June 2020, Vol. 3, Issue 5-6, p. 48-55.
Survival Analysis in Estimation of Attrition Rates among Policyholders in Jubilee and UAP Insurance Companies
Jeffar J. Oburu, Richard Simwa, N. B. Okelo*
School of Mathematics, Applied Statistics and Actuarial Science,Maseno University, P. O. Box 40105-333, Kenya.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The present work has used survival models to estimate attrition rates, probabilities, and predictions as well as identify which covariates influence attrition. The study adopts a retrospective explanatory research design. A sample of 149 in-force policies within 1st January 2018 to 30th June 2019 have been used in the analysis. Kaplan Meir curves have been used to show the distribution of survival/retention times.
Keywords: Survival analysis; Attrition; Policy; Insurance.
- Ranaweera C, Neely K. Service Quality and Customer Retention. Int J Anal 2020;2(4):122-33.
- Oketch S. Challenges of Customer Retention by Madison Insurance Company Limited in Kenya. Master of Business Administration: University of Nairobi; 2017.
- Hasanthika H, Jayasekara F. Analyzing the Customer Attrition using Survival Techniques. International Journal pg Statistics and Probability 2020;6(6):85-90.
- Mohammed Z, Mohammed S. Analysis and Estimation of Customer Survival Time in Subscription-based. Business Statistics 2018;2(4) 23-34.
- Fu L, Wang H. Estimating Insurance Attrition Using Survival Analysis. Variance 2014;8(1):55-72.
- Marin P, Maria A. Survival methods for the analysis of customer lifetime duration in insurance. J Retailing 2019;3(4):155-64.
- Oakes D. Survival Analysis. Biometrika Centenary 2001;88:99-142.
- Peterson RA, Albaum G, Ridgway NM. Consumers Who Buy from Direct Sales Companies. J Retailing 1989;65:273-86.
- Tanser J. Conversion and Retention Modeling. Ratemaking and Product Management Seminar. Casualty Actuarial Society, Chicago; 2010.
- Thomas LC, Edelman DB, Crook JN. Credit Scoring and its Applications. SIAM Monographs on Mathematical Modeling and Computation, Philadelphia, SIAM; 2002.
- Van den Poel D, Lariviere B. Customer Attrition Analysis for Financial Services using Proportional Hazard Models. European Journal of Operational Research 2004;157(1):196-217.