International Journal of Modern Computation, Information and Communication Technology
July 2018, Vol. 1, Issue 2, p. 57-60.
Simulation of DME Production from Carbon dioxide by Indirect Process
R. Govindarasu, K. Hema Divya*, B. Dhilipan, N. Dhanush
Department of Chemical Engineering, Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering, Sriperumbudur-602 117. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dimethyl ether (DME) is a clean and economical alternative fuel which can be produced from natural gas, synthesis gas and from flue gas. The properties of DME are very similar to those of LPG gas. DME can be used for various fields as a fuel such as power generation, transportation, home heating and cooking, etc. It contains no sulfur or nitrogen. An innovative process of synthesis of DME from flue gas is developed. It is an innovative process since the raw material is one of the greenhouse gases. Carbon dioxide is used for the synthesis. This gas is abundantly available in the environment. The cement industry releases lot of carbon dioxide gas. This gas can be utilized for production of Dimethyl ether. The feasibility of the process is verified using ASPEN simulation.
Keywords: ASPEN plus; Simulation; Dimethyl ether production; Greenhouse gases.
- Iliuta I, Larachi F, Fongarland P. Dimethyl Ether Synthesis with in situ H2O Removal in Fixed-Bed Membrane Reactor: Model and Simulations. Ind Eng Chem Res 2010;49:6870-77.
- Centi G, Perathoner S. Advances in Catalysts and Processes for Methanol Synthesis from CO2. In CO2: A valuable source of carbon. De Falco M, Iaquaniello G, Centi G (Eds.). Springer-Verlag London; 2013.
- El-Halwagi M, Harell D, Dennis Spriggs H. Targeting cogeneration and waste utilization through process integration. Appl Energ 2009;86:880-87.
- Brunetti A, Scura F, Barbieri G, Drioli E. Membrane technologies for CO2 separation. Journal of Membrane Science 2010;359:115-25.
- Lasse Røngaard C. Design of novel DME/methanol synthesis plants based on gasification of biomass: Ph.D Thesis Thermal Energy, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Nils Koppels Allé, 2800; 2011.
- Diban N, Urtiaga AM, Ortiz I, Ereña J, BilbaoJ, Aguayo AT. Influence of the membrane properties on the catalytic production of dimethyl ether with in situ water removal for the successful capture of CO2. Chem Eng J 2013;234:140-48.
- Kim H, Kim S, Cho W, Yoon ES. Simulation of commercial dimethyl ether production plant. Comput Aided Chem Eng 2010;28:799-804.
- Khoshnoodi M, Lim YS. Simulation of partial oxidation of natural gas to synthesis gas using ASPEN PLUS. Fuel Processing Technology 1997;50:275-89.