International Journal of Modern Computation, Information and Communication Technology
June 2018, Vol. 1, Issue 1, pp. 15-23.
Harmonic Analysis of Solar Power Based Grid Connected System
R. Johnnie Hepziba, H. Prasad, T. D. Sudhakar*
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai - 600119. India..
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The present work deals with the reduction of harmonics which is produced by non-linear loads when connected with PV integrated grid connected system. Two PV sources are considered and they are synchronized with grid where inverter control for a one PV is given with the use of PLL technique and another PV inverter control is not a PLL dependent. Two PVs grid integrated system is then tested by connecting linear and non-linear load. The harmonics created by non-linear load is reduced by using passive LC filter. The model is executed in simulation and the THD content is determined by FFT analysis in MATLAB/SIMULINK.
Keywords: Grid connection; PV integration; Harmonics; Simulation; Grid synchronization.
- Bellia H, Youcef R, Fatima M. A detailed modeling of photovoltaic module using MATLAB. NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics. 2014;3:53-61.
- Prodanovic M, Green TC. Control and filter design of three-phase inverters for high power quality grid connection. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2003;18:373-80.
- Sangita RN, Mini R. Design and simulation of three phase inverter for grid connected photovoltic systems. Proceedings of Third Biennial National Conference. Feb 24-25; 2012. p. 80-3.
- Kumar D, Zare F. Harmonic analysis of grid connected power electronic systems in low voltage distribution networks. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. 2016;4:70-9.
- Murali G, Manivannan A. Analysis of power quality problems in solar power distribution system. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2013;3:799-805.
- Muhammad H, Rashid MH. Power Electronics Circuits, Devices, and Applications. 3rd ed. New Delhi: Pearson Education India: 2009.
- Kavitha A, Senthil Kumar N, Vanaja N. Design and control of grid synchronization of renewable energy sources. International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies. 18-19 March 2016. Nagercoil, India.
- Suresh Kumar B, Avinash G. Mitigation of lower order harmonics in a grid connected three phase PV inverter. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2015;2:1036-46.
- Eng. Osamah Saleh Al-duaij EOS. Harmonics Effects in Power System. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2015;5:1-19.
- Panda A, Pathak MK, Srivastava SP. A single phase photovoltaic inverter control for grid connected system. Sadhana. 2016;41:15-30.
- Prasad H, Sudhakar TD. Application of passive filters for harmonics mitigation in a dual input converter. Proceedings of International Conference on Computation of Power, Energy, Information and Communication. 16-17 April 2014; Chennai, India. IEEE Xplore; 2014.
- Prasad H, Sudhakar TD. Harmonic analysis of a real time laptop charging circuit with non-linear loads. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2014;9: 8602-8.
- Sudhakar TD, Prasad H. Harmonic analysis and simulation of shunt active filter for three phase induction motor power backup system using Matlab/Simulink. Middle East Journal Of Scientific Research. 2015;23:1461-69.
- Prasad H, Chilambarasan M, Sudhakar TD. Mitigation of current harmonics in a solar hybrid system by installation of passive harmonic filters. Proceedings of International Conference on Computation of Power, Energy, Information and Communication. 16-17 April 2014; Chennai, India. IEEE Xplore; 2014.
- Prasad H, Sudhakar TD. Design of active filters to reduce harmonics for power quality improvement. Proceedings of International Conference on Computation of Power, Energy, Information and Communication. 16-17 April 2014; Chennai, India. IEEE Xplore; 2014.
- Sudhakar TD, Edel Quinn Julin M, Mohanadasse M. MATLAB simulation based load flow analysis of a photovoltaic solar energy powered ship. International Journal of Industrail Engineering. 2018;2(1):76-81.
- Sudhakar TD, Vinodini S. PV system based grid-connected system. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology. 2016;1(1):29-33.
- Sudhakar TD, Prasad H, Vinodini S. A Study of harmonic mitigation using active power filters in a PV system integrated with GRID through a multilevel inverter. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology. 2016;1(4):144-49.